28 October 2007

Open letter to Julia 1984

It is amazing that we live so close and yet know nothing of the other's culture.
It is particularly sad in my case since I actually have family in Venezuela.

I admit two things
1) is that I attend the free spanish classes at the Venezuelan Embassy in Port of Spain and that I until recently was more pro chavista than contra.

2) I thought a civil war would cure the ills in Trinidad until I visited Guatemala in 2006.

But I have changed.

Regarding 1- We were issued DVD's "Say the truth, based on the white book on RCTV" It is one of the most unbelievable propaganda I have ever seen.

Also when one student made the offhand comment that she did not want to study Chavista propaganda she was told when you are here He is your president.

Which brings me the to Trinidad. The current prime minister (Manning), has similar powers to the british prime minister, we were a british colony last, is proposing to change our constitution to an executive president.
Which Sir Ellis Clarke says will have all the powers of a chilean president.

Watching Chavez has made me realise I never want an executive president here.

Moreover, currently Manning does not have the power to grant a state of emergency thus giving the military shoot to kill powers etc etc.

But like Venezuela ( I noticed the increased importance of the military attache when they changed embassador recently), we are becoming more militant.

I no longer blink as I pass the soldiers on my way to work. They are part of the landscape.

This frightens me.

3 comments:

Rita Loca said...

I plan to come back and read more of your blog. I came over via Julia's. I enjoyed visiting Trinidad while living in Venezuela.

memememe said...

It is amazing indeed that being so close, we are very ignorant about each other culture and political system.
I must admit that here in Venezuela, people simply ignore your country unless they have family or interest there.
I have never been to Trinidad. My mom planned to send me there once, to learn english but it just never happen. And a couple of friends lived there for a long time, but they have never told me much about the years they spend there, only that it was quite more peaceful than living here.
Internet has given us an amazing oportunity to put an end to our countries mutual ignorance. Given the impressive ammount of chavista propaganda spread around the world by my government, I expect a lot of foreigners that for some reason or another dont have easy access to other sources, to have a more favorable opinion to my government. My blog actually borns as a response to that.
Anything you can tell me about your country will be helful because like I told you, my mind is just now starting to fill with information about it.
I'm glad you find me and my blog. Lets keep in touch.

Anonymous said...

Good words.